Monday, February 25, 2008

I went back to Ohio...And My Alma Mater Was Gone

Previously I posted in passing about my June 2007 visit to Antioch College, initially intending to coincide (to the exact date) with the 20th anniversary of my graduation, but instead getting caught up in the hysterics about the sudden announcement to close the college this coming June.

Since then, millions of dollars were raised (most of them in a tent behind the campus' Main Building during that very Reunion weekend for which The Brahmin was present) and the Board of Trustees "reversed" its decision to close, subject to "negotiation" with a coalition of alumni, faculty and assorted "stakeholders" to release control of the College to them, instead of having it remain part of the Antioch University parasite which had slowly been destroying its host from I guess the late 1960's through my time there (1984-87) and to the present date. When I attended Antioch, enrollment was about one-fifth of what it was in 1970. Today it is less than half of what it was when I went there.

Last week the Trustees again announced that they were sticking with their original decision and closing the College. Barring either a not-yet diagnosed and incredibly aggressive disease or something like a bus accident, I will survive my alma mater. That is not supposed to be.

Tragically, it comes as little surprise, as I hinted at in my earlier piece and may choose to muse about as more information becomes available. I will only add for now that the original decision to close (June '07) was in the College's hometown of Yellow Springs, Ohio...when students were away for the summer.

The decision to irrevocably pull the plug on Antioch was made while students were on campus. Except it was announced in Los Angeles.

Again, little surprise.


The Brahmin

No comments: